Mitchell Harris Muscat and B Harris' Christmas Pudding...
A Perfect Match
The aroma of rich fruit soaked for ages in rum or brandy with steaming custard poured over the top - nothing says Christmas more!
Ingredients (makes 6 individual serves or 1 large pudding)
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1 large cup mixed dried fruits *
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 tblsp butter
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 2 tblsp firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tblsp treacle
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest or juice
- Warmed custard, to serve
* B uses dates, raisins, sultanas, apricots, currants and red cherries. Larger fruit should be chopped to approximately sultana size. A 'slurp' of brandy can be mixed with the fruit prior to starting the puddings.
- Place milk, fruit, butter, sugar and treacle in large saucepan and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in bicarb soda. Stir well together - cool - then add flour, lemon and spices.
- Mix well
- Makes 6 individual serves in dariole moulds.
- Cook for 40 minutes in a water bath at 160 to 170 degrees. (or steam in large pot for 2 hours for large pudding)
- Pour over custard to serve